Craft Along With GIY; Lap Tray Make Over with Literature and Macabre

So finally, I've got a project I can contribute to Craft Along with GIY. The theme had been to interpret the theme of crafting either with letters and numbers. This task had me a stumbling back until I thought to try something different with my current project.  





 I purchased this lap tray ages ago, with the intention of adding the goth factor to it or simply paint it black. I got this from a local brick and brac furniture shop for a pound,  surprisingly its amazing quality compared to other I've seen. I was planning to use the tray for my netbook. I've been meaning to do this for a while, but just never got around this.




I remember reading somewhere you're able to substitute acrylic paint for fabric paint. What I read,  recommends using watering down the paint with 1 part water to 9 part paint. 



Surprisingly it seemed to work, I didn't think it would work so effectively, once the paint dried the fabric became stiff and highlighted the batik pattern, it looks quite interesting.





I spray painted the sides with black gloss, I didn't bother priming the wood but cleaned the edges and left to dry.  



I had a few pages left from my book tree, and I decoupaged the tray with pages  I ripped the page up glued using a watered down glue.     



The finished effect. 


I printed a beautiful image of a skeleton and watching over a woman reading from here, so I glued down and used washy tape to neaten the edges  





I applied sticky back plastic to create a waterproof layer so it didn't damage the paper layer. 


This is the final result of my lap tray. 



Comments

  1. I do love the end result, so creative and wonderfully macabre 🖤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank, it something completely different for me.

      Delete
  2. Wow! What an amazing transformation! It's fabulous. :D Thanks for participating in the craft-along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks it was fun, once I came up for an idea.

      Delete
  3. What a smart idea and the outcome is fabulous! :) I love book related decorations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I was't sure it look as effective as it did.

      Delete
  4. Nice. Looks like it can double as wall art when not in use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, that's an interesting idea I never thought of that.

      Delete
  5. Oh, this is awesome^^ I once made a dacoupage laptop tray with the map of Middle Earth for a friend^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I like the sound of your the middle Earth tray sounds great

      Delete
  6. Lovely! I've always liked text prints on clothing and decors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you. I'm starting to like style of decor the more I use it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a fan of text in decoupage too, and I love the picture you used! Excellent job - I'll be looking closer at lap trays next time I go thrifting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to enjoy it and like the asethic it creates. Also, it's way of recycling those trashy novels or not brilliant literature.

      Delete
  9. I found you through http://www.howtly.com/how-to-make-a-craft just now! How wonderful your work is! I just HAD to pin this hugging card project and would love to work on some of your other fun ideas with my friends on our next crafting day! I love card making and easy paper crafts!

    ReplyDelete
  10. No problem, I love reading all sorts of ones, especially crafty one as soon you mention crafts. I'll be sure to check out your blog. I recently started making homemade birthday card using wall paper samples.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Halloween Shopping

Leashes, The Dystopian Nightmare

Christmas Memories